(At least it is here at Girlz 4 Christ headquarters in the beautiful PNW.)
Let’s face it–for many of us, January is the month where we find ourselves in a bit of a mood slump. We say goodbye to the beauty and magic of the holiday season, and welcome in a month of…nothingness. If you’re like me, January seems to stretch on endlessly, with NOTHING fun on the horizon.
But I’m here to say…let’s change that! Let’s plan something fun for the weekend that will give us something to look forward to and help us beat the winter blues.
1.) Spa Day In!
Who doesn’t love a good manicure, pedicure, or facial? Even if you’re on a budget, you can easily recreate a relaxing spa experience in the comfort of your own home. Invite a few of your best girlfriends or make the day all about you! Either way, you’ll find yourself feeling recharged and refreshed.
Find a soothing, spa-like instrumental playlist online, and light a candle or two before giving yourself–and maybe a friend or two–the works. Trying to save money? There are plenty of recipes online for inventive and inexpensive face masks that you can make with a few basic ingredients found in your kitchen. Even the simplest brand of lotion can feel positively luxurious if you spread it on while giving your hands a mini-massage.
If you’re feeling really fancy, break out a robe and slippers and read a new book or magazine while you let your mask set or your polish dry. Make a day of it by brewing a pot of herbal tea or making a jug of fruit-flavored spa water. You could even buy a few healthy snacks (think fresh fruits, trail mix, or veggie sticks and hummus) to munch on in between treatments.
Most of all, focus on relaxing and recharging–it’s important for your inner beauty as well as for your outside appearance.
2.) Cooking Competition
It’s tough to shy away from a challenge…especially one that promises to yield delicious results! Grab a friend or two and set a timer–may the best dish win! There are several different challenges you can participate in, or you could come up with one of your own!
- Grocery Store Showdown: If you’re looking for a good reason to get out of the house, then this one is for you! Head to the closest grocery store and give yourself a set amount of time in which you can shop for ingredients for your meal, then throw in a twist. Maybe you can only buy ingredients that start with a certain letter. Maybe you can only shop in the even-numbered aisles (or vice versa). Or set a budget: no more than $10–or $20 if you’re feeling generous! Then race back home and set another timer before you start cooking. Ready, set, GO!
- Pantry Powwow: This time, there’s no trip to the grocery store to help you out. Everything in your pantry is fair game…but that’s it. Missing a key ingredient? You’ll have to improvise! Make sure to set a tight time limit to heighten the tension.
- Mystery Ingredients: Invite your friends and ask each of them to each bring a “secret ingredient” (make sure you have one too!) then put them all together and unveil them, like on a TV cooking show. Divide into teams, work together, or go mono e mono. May the best chef win.
3.) Make it Bookish
Gather a group of friends who enjoy reading and read the same book. When you’re done, meet together and discuss the story. Sound too much like a book club? Add an element of the extraordinary by challenging everyone to come dressed as their favorite character. When you meet, prepare a meal or snack mentioned in the book–or get creative and come up with your own menu! You could even try your hand at an activity described in the story. If there’s a movie version of the book, turn it into a movie night complete with PJ’s and popcorn. Below are a few books that Girlz 4 Christ suggests:
- Porch Swing Girl, by Taylor Bennett (Contemporary Christian YA with a summery setting on the beach in Hawaii!)
- Rooms, by James L. Rubart (A breakout speculative Christian fiction novel with a BIG twist at the end.)
- The Tethered World by Heather L. L. Fitzgerald (A book–the first in a series–filled with fantasy and flights of fancy, all written from a Christian worldview.)
We hope one of these ideas sparked something in you…here’s to surviving the rest of the winter with NO MORE boring weekends! Have any more ideas to add to this list? Drop them in the comments.